Maddy Harland is editor and co-founder of Permaculture magazine, an international quarterly in print, digital and online at permaculture.co.uk. Maddy also co-founded and is CEO of Permanent Publications, a publishing company that has published over 80 books and has notably pioneered the publication of leading edge permaculture books. Permanent Publications has also run an open access website at permaculture.co.uk full of information since 1996 and Permaculture Media on YouTube. In 2008, Maddy’s company was awarded a Queens Award for Enterprise for their “unfettered dedication to promoting sustainable development internationally.”
Maddy helped set up the Sustainability Centre in Hampshire, UK in 1995, on a site that was once a military base, and now is a thriving immersive learning centre. She has held the roles of Vice Chair, Chair of the Board and is now a trustee.
Maddy is a founding member of Gaia Education and the Ecovillage Design Education course endorsed by UNESCO. She is a Visiting Knowledge Exchange Fellow at the University of Winchester.
She is also an adviser for the Ecosystem Restoration Foundation, the Cloudburst Foundation and Common Earth, a joint initiative between the Cloudburst Foundation and the Commonwealth. This is a climate action program aimed at supporting the 52 member states to adopt integrative approaches to address climate change and meet the UN Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
Maddy is the author of Fertile Edges: Regenerating Land, Culture and Hope.
Maddy is an international speaker and teacher. She facilitates Cultural Emergence for Women at Applewood Permaculture Centre with Looby Macnamara. She also has one of the oldest forest gardens in the UK. When not at work she loves to get lost in her abundant, biodiverse permaculture garden.
- Harland, Maddy, Fertile Edges, Permanent Publications, 2016
- Maddy Harland’s Blog
- Permaculture Magazine on Facebook
- Here is an article that describes how Maddy Harland, editor of Permaculture Magazine, transformed her site from grass to garden! Harland, Maddy. “How we made a garden of edible delights: monoculture to permaculture.” 9 July 2014. The Guardian
- Harland, Maddy. “Efficient Energy Planning – An Original Permaculture Design Principle.” 7 March 2013. Permaculture Magazine
- Check out Permaculture magazine’s popular YouTube Channel